WINS | [1998] Round 4: Penrith 54 Adelaide 12

Sunday 5th April at Penrith Stadium

Penrith 54: M. Adamson (2), P. Adamson (1), Alexander (1), Beckett (1), Carter (1), Drew (1), Girdler (1), Jorgensen (1), Woods (1); Goals: Girdler (6), Carter (1) | Adelaide 12


Brad Drew opened the scoring inside the first two minutes when he made a dash from 10 metres out and crashed over. Ryan Girdler’s conversion gave the home team an early 6-0 lead.

The lead was doubled to 12-0 soon after when Phil Adamson ran off an inside ball from Greg Alexander and crashed over to the left of the uprights.

The Rams would post their first points with a penalty conversion after 11 minutes, however, the Panthers would cross for their third try three minutes later when Matt Adamson scored on almost the same blade of grass as his brother, and would lead 18-2.

The clock would later catch up with the scoreboard, but after 28 minutes the score would tick over again when Robbie Beckett ran off a Girdler tap on and shuffled his way over in the corner.

Matt Adamson would complete a first half double with a 30 metre run from a standing start from Matt Adamson to make it 28-2, and in the shadows of half time a penalty conversion was slotted from Girdler to make it 30-2.

An 80 metre intercept try to Girdler less than 5 minutes after the resumption of play pushed it out to 34-2 but he was unable to convert his own try.

Just before the 50 minute mark, the home team turned on the attack with a try to Alexander that was started inside their half with a John Cross offload, and then a cut out pass to Mark Geyer who then threw it out to Jason Williams who then evaded many Rams defenders, finding Steve Carter in support and then finally finishing with Alexander. Girdler’s conversion made it 40-2.

Penrith kept pushing ahead with tries to Steve Carter and then David Woods. With Girdler off the field with a leg injury, both Alexander and Drew were tried with the goal kicking but neither were unable to convert these tries.

The home team cracked the half century with a Peter Jorgensen try with 12 minutes remaining and trying their fourth goal kicker, Carter was able to slot the conversion for Penrith to hold a 54-2 lead.

Although Adelaide would post two consolation tries inside the final 10 minutes, the final 42 point full time margin would become their biggest ever winning margin, eclipsing the 43-2 win over South Sydney in 1977.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s