WINS | [1991] Grand Final: Penrith 19 Canberra 12

Sunday 22nd September 1991 at Sydney Football Stadium

Penrith 19 – Tries: Simmons (2), Izzard (1); Goals: Alexander (3); Field goals: Alexander (1) | Canberra 12


The Panthers opened the scoring when hooker Royce Simmons took the ball from a standing start 10 metres out and hit and spun himself around to barge over. Greg Alexander’s conversion hit the upright but ricocheted at the right angle to extend it to a 6-0 lead.

The Raiders soon hit back but it was unable to be successfully converted with Penrith holding on to a 6-4 lead. However, Canberra would equalise only minutes later with a penalty conversion to lock it up at 6-all.

The Raiders would then hit the lead with their second try, but yet another unsuccessful conversion restricted their lead to 10-6.

Late in the second half, Canberra were looking at further extending their lead, but poor decision making as well as scrambling Panthers defence kept them from crossing for a third try, but a penalty conversion on the stroke of half time had Canberra leading 12-6.

Early in the second half, the Panthers were given an opportunity to reduce the deficit to 4 with a penalty – it sailed wide but fell in the in-goal, with Canberra running it back. On the next tackle, the ball was forced loose and in the turn over, the ball was swung out wide for Paul Smith to touch down in the corner. However, the try was disallowed due to a high tackle in the play that forced the ball loose, and Mark Geyer would be sin binned for 10 minutes due to dissent.

The Panthers, aided by a greater amount of possession and field position, would try to break the deadlock but the Raiders were able to withstand what was being thrown at them, particularly close to the line.

However, with 10 minutes remaining, Geyer popped an offload to Brad Fittler, who then broke the line and ran 20 metres before fining Brad Izzard in support on his outside, who then planted the ball under the posts. Alexander’s successful conversion had it tied up at 12-all.

The Panthers soon after inched ahead 13-12 after Alexander potted a field goal.

Shortly after, Penrith were able to pin Canberra in their in goal after a short Alexander drubber on the last tackle. A short drop out angled towards the Panthers left edge was steamed upon by a rampaging Geyer, who then found Simmons on his outside and he planted the ball in the corner for his second, sparking jubilant scenes on the field. Alexander extended the lead to 7 when he nailed the conversion from the sideline, with the score remaining 19-12 to full time, and with that securing the Panthers maiden premiership title.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s